We are here to help you
0800 917 7099

Funeral Advice & Information

Where did the death occur?

In hospital or nursing home: If your loved one dies in a hospital or nursing home, after notifying you, the staff will lay out the body and arrange for it to be taken to the hospital mortuary.

At home: If your loved one dies at home, you should call the GP as soon as possible. The GP will normally visit the house and, if the death was expected, should be able to issue a certificate confirming the cause of death. If the deceased did not have a GP, or if you do not know the name of the GP, an ambulance should be called instead. A doctor is not allowed to issue a certificate if they are unsure about the cause of death. When this happens the death must be reported to a coroner and the deceased will be taken to a hospital mortuary, where a post-mortem may need to take place.

Did the deceased have a Safe Hands Funeral Plan?

No: you will need to contact a funeral director, who will organise collection of the deceased and take them into their care (note: to find a reputable, affordable, firm in your local area, you may like to visit www.funeraldirectorsregister.com or contact the National Federation of Funeral Directors on 01924 675719).

Yes: report the death to Safe Hands Funeral Plans by contacting 0800 917 7099 and selecting 'Report a Bereavement'. Though not essential, do try to make sure you have the deceased's funeral plan number to hand when you call. If the balance of the plan has been paid for in full at the time of death, we will immediately appoint a local, reputable, funeral director to collect the deceased and take them to their chapel of rest. If the balance of the plan has not been paid for in full at the time of death, it will need to be settled (by you and/or other representatives of the deceased), before we can appoint a funeral director.